What causes a hangover?
If you’ve had a big night on the town, there are a multitude of chemical and physical processes occurring inside your body that make you feel hungover.
First, it is important to know that only 10 percent of alcohol leaves your system via breath, sweat and urine. The remaining 90 percent is metabolized, and the by-products of that process cause many hangover symptoms.
Dehydration is one of the most significant causes of hangovers. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means that your body uses more water to process the alcohol than you get from the drinks, leaving you feeling dehydrated in the morning. And, the alcohol itself causes chemical changes in your body that increase how much water your body expels through urination. The resulting dehydration contributes to weakness, headaches and other symptoms.
Some of the weakness and shakiness you feel when hungover comes from a drop in blood sugar. Your liver uses sucrose to process alcohol. After several drinks, you may begin to feel the effects of hypoglycemia, or very low blood sugar levels. This can also make you feel more tired and affect your mood.
As your liver processes alcohol, it’s producing a chemical byproduct called acetaldehyde, a toxin that is 30 times more damaging to your body than the alcohol itself. The presence of acetaldehyde in your body contributes to all the symptoms of a hangover.
Alcohol also irritates the lining of your stomach. It increases stomach acid production that can lead to abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting.
So, as good as that wine tasted with dinner, if you’re going to enjoy more than one or two drinks, you need to take steps to counter the myriad factors that can cause a hangover.
How long does alcohol stay in the body?
Many factors contribute to how long alcohol stays in your system, including weight, gender, age and drug use. Alcohol has a greater effect on people with lower bodyweight. It also stays in the systems of females longer than males, and younger people usually see alcohol levels drop more quickly.
The metabolism, or breakdown, of alcohol is equivalent to about one standard drink per hour regardless of body size.
How do I cure a hangover?
There is no “cure” for a hangover. Rather, the best course of action is prevention and taking steps to mitigate symptoms.
One easy prevention method is to eat before drinking. Eating foods high in fiber, protein and fat will help. Fatty foods moderate the body’s absorption of alcohol and high-fiber foods can help break down and absorb alcohol in your stomach, keeping it from reaching the bloodstream as quickly.
Take vitamin C and a B mixture. Vitamin C is good for just about everything and B vitamins help your body process carbs and other sugars and starches that are commonly found in alcohol.
And, of course, if you’ve decided to have a few drinks, RESQWATER can help address the root causes of hangovers.
How does RESQWATER help prevent hangovers?
There’s no denying that after we’ve been out celebrating at night, our body feels a lot less like celebrating in the morning. RESQWATER contains ingredients that can help your body return to center.
First off, every bottle of RESQWATER contains 8 oz of water, which helps prevent dehydration during and after drinking. Dehydration is one of the main causes of hangovers.
We’ve also included an ingredient called N-acetyl Cysteine, or NAC, that helps your body convert all that acetaldehyde into harmless acetic acid.
RESQWATER includes milk thistle, which has been known to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, to help promote healthy liver function. We’ve also added organic prickly pear cactus fruit extract, which can decrease inflammation and reduce nausea and upset stomach, sucrose from organic evaporated cane juice, electrolytes and B vitamins. This combination of ingredients makes RESQWATER an ideal anti-hangover drink.
Why do different alcohols cause different hangovers?
No matter what your choice of alcohol is when celebrating, if you overdo it, you’re going to feel it the next morning. But keeping in mind what you’re drinking can help with hangovers.
Drinks with a higher concentration of congeners have been found to cause more severe hangover symptoms. Congeners are the impurities left over, or sometimes added to alcohol in the production and distillation process. The congeners account for the various flavors, colors and odors of different alcohols. Congeners are toxic and can interfere with cell function.
Generally speaking, darker liquors — such as bourbon, brandy and whiskey — and beers and red wine have higher congener counts than clear liquors — rum, vodka and gin — and white wines.
One other tip to note is the carbonation in beer will speed up the absorption of alcohol so drinking beer before liquor may decrease the body’s ability to process alcohol resulting in more severe hangovers. Hence, “Beer before liquor you’ve never been sicker. Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear.”