Muscle Recovery After Running
The rewards of running are evident – increases muscle strength, boosts the immune system, raises levels of good cholesterol, prevents disease, helps maintain weight and inspires confidence. Runners continually push their bodies by sometimes training longer and faster than is comfortable in order to be healthy and fit. When doing so, the body becomes depleted of certain fuels and gains microscopic tears in the muscles.
For all levels of runners, one of the best strategies to reduce muscle soreness after running and to speed up the muscle recovery process is to take immediate action, according to Runner’s World. This process includes:
- Walk it out for five to ten minutes while drinking a chilled bottle of RESQWATER to help aid in the healing of leg soreness after running. Then elevate your legs for five minutes.
- Soak legs in cool water for five to ten minutes up to two to three hours after a run. Go bold and add ice cubes to the water.
- Massage your sore calf muscles after running to improve circulation and help remove waste products from the muscles.
- Enjoy a chilled bottle of RESQWATER daily, or during and after your workout and during recovery, to help defend against muscle soreness, fatigue and inflammation.
- Take a 30-60 minute walk the day after for recovery after a long run to improve blood flow and accelerate the recovery process.
Recovery is part of the training. Many runners do a recovery run to rest the muscles and prepare them for the next big run day. Cross-training (i.e. arm day, elliptical exercise machine) is a substitute for a recovery run as it gives the legs a break but accomplishes the same goal of rebuilding and re-energizing your body.
In addition to the different strategies of muscle recovery during exercise, include RESQWATER in your routine, which contains premium ingredients to help replenish nutrients and flush toxins during and after your run. RESQWATER is one of the best drinks after running because it contains:
- B vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Milk Thistle
- Organic Prickly Pear extract
- Organic Cane Sugar (found in our regular RESQWATER formula)