Muscle Recovery for CrossFit
CrossFit, which incorporates high-intensity movements with aerobic fitness to help build muscle, is one of the most challenging workout routines. Each training session introduces a new set of compound exercises to build cardiovascular endurance, strength, balance, flexibility and speed. This often hard-core workout burns more calories and uses more muscles than traditional exercise routines and requires razor-sharp recovery.
Because this approach to fitness is sometimes considered extreme, it’s essential to be acutely aware of your body, before, during and after exercise so as not to become injured. Crossfitters should prioritize recovery to increase mobility, decrease soreness and become a better overall athlete with a lower chance in injury. Here are some strategies to consider for CrossFit recovery:
Passive Recovery: Give yourself a rest day. Completely halt operations. Cease all exercise.
Active Recovery: Reduce the intensity of the workout and perform light cardio with static stretching to promote blood flow and tissue repair. Give yourself proper nutrition and consume chilled RESQWATER, a premium post-workout CrossFit recovery drink that helps aid in muscle recovery during and after this active recovery workout.
Cross-Training: Repair certain muscle groups while working others out (i.e. leg day vs. back day). Enjoy a chilled RESQWATER daily, or during and after cross-training to help replenish nutrients and flush toxins.
Myofascial Release (Soft Tissue Therapy): Use a foam roller immediately after a workout to potentially delay the onset of muscle soreness and speed up muscle recovery. Enjoy a chilled bottle of RESQWATER while working on your muscles.
Nutritional Recovery: Replace calories, fluids, carbs, protein and sodium in your nutrition recovery plan. It’s necessary to replenish fluids, depleted blood sugar, electrolytes and muscle glycogen stores with proper nutrition.
Sleep: Get seven or more hours of sleep each night to optimize muscle recovery.
RESQWATER Proactive Recovery and New RESQWATER Sugar Free are two of the best recovery drinks for CrossFit due to the premium ingredients that include:
- B vitamins may prevent the depletion of glutathione (an antioxidant that helps protect the body from oxidative stress) and are some of the best vitamins for muscle recovery.
- Vitamin C can help protect primary organs by acting as an antioxidant.
- Organic Prickly Pear extract has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce swelling and muscle soreness.
- Milk Thistle contains silymarin, which acts as an antioxidant and can help reduce swelling.
- Organic cane sugar (found in our regular RESQWATER formula) helps replenish sugar levels and can provide energy stored for future workouts.
- L-Cysteine is an amino acid that protects against oxidative stress that can cause muscle soreness.
- Electrolytes are needed to keep your muscular and nervous system in shape. They help with the absorption of fluids for optimal muscle recovery.
- Water helps protect the side effects of dehydration caused by body water loss and aids in flushing toxins. Water and muscle recovery go hand in hand.
Learn about how RESQWATER can aid muscle recovery for runners.